- DOE Information Systems – www.scienceaccelerator.gov Federated search covering Department of Energy related research, articles and conference proceedings
- Science Gov – www.science.gov Searches over 50 U.S. Government science-related databases and websites
- Scirus — www.scirus.com Maintained by Elsevier, this federated search covers journals and science related materials from the web
- WorldWideScience.Org — www.worldwidescience.org/about.html Federated search developed by the Department of Energy that covers national and international government science resources
Major Science Publisher Open Access Initiatives
- Wiley Open Access — www.wileyopenaccess.com
- Elsevier Science Direct – www.sciencedirect.com Open access journals are mixed in with subscription titles.
- Springer Open – www.springeropen.com/journals
- BioMed Central — www.biomedcentral.com/journals/bysubject Publisher of 220 open access peer-reviewed science, technology and medicine journals.
- Directory of Open Access Journals — www.doaj.org Focus on scientific journals using quality-controlled measures—somewhat spotty but decent international coverage
- HighWire — www.highwire.stanford.edu Publishers of 1700+ peer-reviewed science journals—older content is frequently open access
- Public Library of Science – www.plos.org Advocacy organization and publisher of 7 high quality peer-reviewed open access journals
Subject Specific Resources
- Agricola– www.agricola.nal.usda.gov Agriculture and agriculture-related database from the USDA
- arXiv– www.arxiv.org arXiv provides open access to nearly 800,000 e-prints in the area of physics, mathematics, computer science, quantitative biology, quantitative finance and statistics.
- CiteSeer — www.citeseer.ist.psu.edu Digital library and search engine focused on computer and information science.
- Defense Technical Information Center — www.dtic.mil/dtic A searchable repository for all publicly accessible DOD science and technical research.
- Popline — www.popline.org Database covering family planning and reproductive health with excellent international coverage.
- PubChem –– www.pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov The 3 databases in PubChem provide information on the biological activities of small molecules.
- PubMed – www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez 22 million citations for biomedical literature from MEDLINE, life science journals, and on-line books. Free full text is linked to when available.
- Toxnet — www.toxnet.nlm.nih.gov From the United States National Library of Medicine databases on toxicology, hazardous chemicals, environmental health and toxic releases.
- TRID — www.trid.trb.org Transportation-related research covering 940,000 records of transportation research worldwide.
- UBio — www.ubio.org/index.php?pagename=home Universal Biological Indexer and Organizer uses names and taxonomic intelligence about organisms
Source: SLA Open Access science resources